“St. Archangel Michael “
At the entrance to the bregalnica – Ablanica gorge, where Bregalnica starts to enter into the Berovo field is the monastery “St. Archangel Michael”, which was built in 1818. It is built between two old churches, between “St. George” on the right side of about a hundred meters, on whose place there is a ritual and “Sveta Bogorogica” on the left, at the entrance to the bregalnica gorge, at the place where in the 18th century was located Berovo. The way the monastery was built is connected with the legend: at that time in Berovo there was no church, for this reason Berovo, headed by pop Peco, asked the local Turkish authorities to build a church. When a delegation headed by Pope Pace went to the boulevard, he agreed but set three conditions for them. The first was to build the church for forty days, the second roof not to be higher than the road to the source of Bregalnica, and the third condition was to pop Peco to give his most beautiful and smallest daughter to the boulevards. When the Berovo people heard the conditions for the first two immediately agreed, and Pop Peco told them that his daughter agreed, so they immediately began to build the church. It was ready for forty days, and built it lower from the road so as not to be seen. On the fortieth day the caravan arrived with an army sent from the valley to take the smallest younger daughter. And she really went with them to Thessaloniki. But the girl’s intention was not to reach the valley, so when the caravan came to Dojran Lake, the girl jumped out of the horse and threw herself into the water. The army, thinking that the girl drowned, hurried to reach the valley and tell him what had happened. But the younger daughter was not dead. He found a shepherd who was planting a flock near the lake and took him along with him to a free Serbia. Within the church there is a female monastery. The foundations of the first female monastery in Berovo were erected twenty years after the construction of the monastery church (around 1840). In its greatest rush, the monastery numbered up to sixty nuns (nuns) with a developed rich economy, a theological school, a weaver. From the south, west and north sides of the church are the nuns living in the nuns. They are built in a pure Maleshevo old architecture on the ground floor, with a total of 16 rooms and an area of 560 square meters. In the southern part of the dormitory there are two memorial rooms, one of Atanas Razdolov, and the other of Nikola Petrov Rusinski, while in the other part of the southern lodgings there is a museum dedicated to the reunion and Kresna uprising. The church with a large porch, built in the 19th century architectural opus, dominates the monastery yard. Inside, the characters of the saints are painted in a characteristic style that deviates from the Byzantine canons. From the original iconostasis, there is only one icon with the representation of the Holy Prophet Noah, the work of the icon-painter Georgi Veljanov from Strumica, made in 1818. The pitch is playful. The iconostasis dividing the altar from the middle part includes 10 so-called imperial icons of superb artistic reach. Attracts with the heat of the presence of the tree, shaped in the old-style 19th century style. The monastery library contains a large number of books and texts from the XIX and XX centuries, and in the interior of the church there are 72 icons from XIX. The activities of the monastery are closely connected with Razlovo (1876) and the Kresna Uprising (1878). Today it houses the Museum where photographs, documents, geographical maps and old weapons from the historical past of Maleshevia and Macedonia are exhibited. The sisterhood in this monastery produces icons in Byzantine style, for iconostasis, or on order. The monastery is accessible and open to the spiritual needs of any well-intentioned visitor. The entrance itself through the large wooden gate brings the visitor into a different world, the World of Prayer.